Postgame Thoughts: Red Wings at Avalanche

Make no mistake, the story of the night for the Wings was Ty Conklin.

The Red Wings hit the road for the first time this season, visiting the Colorado Avalanche on the night that the Avs retire Peter Forsberg's jersey.

No comments from me on the illustrious history of the Avalanche.

I haven't seen a full roster for the game yet but we know Ty Conklin gets the start and Patrick Eaves is in. Drew Miller is probably out for Eaves, since Babcock has said he wants a natural center on the fourth line.

Game time is 9:00 with the Forsberg ceremony already underway. FSD has the TV.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/8/2011 at 8:24 PM

Lineup is in... Holmstrom and Brunnstrom out up front. Smith suspended on defense. Mursak and Commodore on IR.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/8/2011 at 8:56 PM

Start of the game delayed by a Lokomotiv tribute. Kind of wish FSD was showing it.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/8/2011 at 9:21 PM

Wings looking sloppy early and the Avs definitely have jump.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/8/2011 at 9:29 PM

Wings getting outworked all over and attempting some awful passes.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/8/2011 at 9:35 PM

I just spent the last minute pulling my hair out and yelling "HOW COULD THEY NOT SCORE ON THAT?!" for both teams. Wow.

Posted by Mathieu_Datsyuk132351 on 10/8/2011 at 9:40 PM

Wings didn't start looking solid until that last power play.

Conklin is really on tonight.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/8/2011 at 9:56 PM

That play was made by Pavs turning on the afterburners down the right wing.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/8/2011 at 10:18 PM

Kind of what Ken and Mick were saying, but I'm thinking the first goal tonight comes off a broken play and/or a giveaway.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/8/2011 at 10:27 PM

Jesus, Mule, what a shot.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/8/2011 at 10:45 PM

Wings looked a lot better that period, stopped with some of the stupid play but it still feels like the Avs have more energy.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/8/2011 at 10:52 PM

I thought for sure Zata was too deep to make that work. Fantastic shot.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/8/2011 at 11:22 PM

Pavs with the ENG. And that took more effort than it should have.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/8/2011 at 11:35 PM

And Conklin wraps up the shutout. Not a great game overall but the Wings really rebounded from a bad start.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/8/2011 at 11:39 PM

Make no mistake, the story of the night for the Wings was Ty Conklin.The Eurotwins being reunited so quickly and all that is interesting but that doesn't even happen if Conklin hadn't kept Detroit in the game early. No matter that Johan Franzen was picked as it, Conklin was the first star of the game.That said, it was nice to see the Wings pick up steam as the game went on. They shouldn't have had to, but they did do a great job of turning things around after the slow start.Not a great second game of the season but there is good to take away from it. And a win is always a win.

I fully agree with everything you pointed out. In my mind, the goalies should have been listed as one and two with the Mule dropping to the third spot. This game could have easily been 6-5 or could have been tied going into the third period however, solid goal tending at both ends kept things rather interesting and fun to watch.

Posted by SYfanSD on 10/9/2011 at 11:27 AM

Do you have any left?

Posted by SYfanSD on 10/9/2011 at 11:28 AM

Is it my imagination (or wishful thinking), or are the Wings showing significant improvement in speed? As a team, they just seem to be much faster in these early games....

Posted by OldBroad on 10/9/2011 at 8:35 PM

I've thought so a couple times. Datsyuk turning on the afterburners going down the right wing on one second period play really surprised me. He can dance but I feel like he doesn't usually show speed like that.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/9/2011 at 9:54 PM