Red Wings - Stars Postgame Notes

I'll admit that I turned the game off after the second period and was barely paying attention after it went to 3-0.

I can't stand watching sloppy hockey and for two games in a row, that's what the Red Wings have played. Poor coverage in their own end, lazy passes leading to turnovers in the neutral zone, no forecheck.

I'm not even going to really talk about goaltending 'cause I'm biased by being p*ssed at my own efforts in goal a couple hours before Chris Osgood took to the ice in Dallas. He and I had similar games - at least one we wanted back and a couple where we wondered what our defense was doing.

The second Dallas goal is the one that describes the game as a whole, to me. Loui Eriksson, surrounded by Red Wings, no one close enough to actually cover him. Detroit was just off all night.

Unless, of course, they were great in the third. I feel safe assuming they didn't turn it around, despite Niklas Kronwall's power play goal.

And it wouldn't be a ridiculous Red Wings loss without an injury. Johan Franzen thinks he'll miss a week with a concussion. Mike Babcock says to wait for the doctor to determine that.

So right now we're at Franzen, Brian Rafalski, Justin Abdelkader and Kris Draper. Abdelkader could possibly return Saturday, thankfully, negating the need to call anyone up from Grand Rapids to fill Franzen's spot on the roster.

If the Wings turn things around, this two-game hiccup will be nothing. They happen from time to time. This early in the season, though, they look awful.

Phantom penalty, Stars score. Hrm.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/14/2010 at 8:42 PM

Franzen caught right in the face. Not a bad hit, not totally clean, but right in the face.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/14/2010 at 9:04 PM

Three guys there, no one covering Eriksson, sweet.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/14/2010 at 9:35 PM

Christ... Way to go, Stuie.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/14/2010 at 9:48 PM

That game was likely one of the least enjoyable wings game in a few years....

Last two games really showed wings flaws.. aged blueline, lack of speed, and subpar goaltending.

If these past two games were any indicators of whats to come then phoenix should win 5-2 this weekend. Dallas, Colorado, and phoenix are very similar in that they're young and fast all around.

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 10/15/2010 at 3:02 AM

Well, let's just hope these two games are a hicup. Where's the built-up "anger" and "energy" the Wings were talking about during the off-season and training camp?

If this turns into endemic malaise, I'm going to start throwing sandbags up in the air and let them drop on my head. That would feel better...

Posted by DetroitRiver on 10/16/2010 at 1:16 AM

Looks like the wings showed that built up anger in this past game vs. coyotes on 11/8/10 with some downright domination at times near the end of the game.

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 11/9/2010 at 2:51 AM