Game One Postgame Notes

I'm not blaming the refs for Detroit's loss tonight but I'm still a bit p*ssed about the officiating at the end of the second period, directly leading to the eventual game-winning goal early in the third.

That said, if the Wings had scored a single power play goal we're in overtime right now. San Jose took advantage of the chances they got and the Red Wings didn't.

For the first time in these playoffs, the Wings lost a game where I was happy with their effort. Despite the loss, Detroit played a really solid game tonight and that bodes well for future games.

Things that I liked...

Dan Cleary. The guy was all over the place and it was great to see him come back after what looked like a head injury. Finally picked up a goal, too.

The entire fourth line. Justin Abdelkader and Drew Miller were buzzing, whether or not Cleary was on the line with them.

The way the Red Wings fought back. Going down 3-0 so early in the game, Detroit could have given up pretty easily. They didn't, though, and were a shot away from forcing overtime. Doesn't do much good for the result but it shows they're not going to be rolled over.

Things that I didn't like...

Three fast goals against. This one's easy. Though they rallied to make it close, you can't expect to win a game when you give up that many goals so quickly.

Only 20 shots taken. Evgeni Nabokov is the weak link on this Sharks team and the Red Wings didn't test him enough.

Bad night for Jimmy Howard. 23 saves on 27 shots isn't bad but the last two goals shouldn't have happened. He was out of position on the third goal and slow to shut his pads on the fourth.

On the Sharks...

San Jose did a great job of clearing the zone. They usually had a guy open in the faceoff circle during a battle along the boards so they could get the puck to him and get the clear. The Wings are going to have to battle along the boards better if they want to win this series.

The Red Wings and Sharks kick off their second-round matchup tonight and I'm not entirely sure what to think.

The quick turnaround from Phoenix to San Jose should be good for Detroit, as they were dominant on Tuesday and will want to carry that forward. The Sharks are rested, though, having finished off the Colorado Avalanche last Friday.

San Jose always annoys me. I know too many Sharks fans that demand respect for their team despite not having won anything yet (much like modern Blackhawks fans). I'm also just shocked at how many teams trade their star players to San Jose for next to nothing. Kyle McLaren (back in the day), Joe Thornton, Dan Boyle and Dany Heatley all came to the Sharks in deals that should have gotten their former teams' GM fired.

It's pretty easy to guess that this series will come down to goaltending. We don't know how Jimmy Howard will hold up to more playoff pressure and we don't know if this is the year that Evgeni Nabokov doesn't collapse.

If the Wings' offense runs like it did on Tuesday, there's nothing to worry about here. The problem is that offense wasn't there for the first six games so we can't count on it now.

This one's a 9:00 start time exclusively on Versus.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 5:15 PM

just wanted to note the scheduling. Bettman p*ssed wings knocked off his yotes, so lets schedule wings two days later and have vancouver/chicago start game 1 on saturday...

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 4/29/2010 at 8:59 PM

Sorry, no conspiracy this time. The HP Pavilion in San Jose is booked for concerts Friday and Saturday so the series had to start tonight.Whether that shows a sign that the arena managers didn't think they'd have hockey to schedule at this time of year is up for you to decide.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 9:05 PM

I'll save my thoughts till the end of the game. I have heard all of the hype and I am not sure how all of it is going to pan out.

Posted by SYfanSD on 4/29/2010 at 9:07 PM

Agreed, especially since game two is not until Sunday. Conspiracy or San Jose's faith in their team?

Posted by SYfanSD on 4/29/2010 at 9:09 PM

Early chance, that could have been big.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 9:11 PM

Surprise. Weak call leads to PPG.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 9:27 PM

Anyone want to cover the slot?

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 9:29 PM

You are f*cking kidding me.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 9:32 PM

Third one is on Howard. Way out of position.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 9:33 PM

There we go! On the f*cking board.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 9:35 PM

Bad call on the Sharks. Wings had damned well better take advantage.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 9:46 PM

Ridiculously, I don't think the Wings played a bad period. Three bad plays, San Jose takes advantage on all. Wings can bounce back. We'll see if they do.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 9:53 PM

Still alive. Great to see Franzen with a big goal.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 10:15 PM

Wings look much better this period

Posted by SYfanSD on 4/29/2010 at 10:38 PM

Can't lose Cleary tonight, he's been all over

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 10:44 PM

Franzen cut on the face and SJ gets the power play. Jesus.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 10:46 PM

I wasn't going to complain about the officiating at intermission but that last minute was just awful.

If the Wings can kill this, they're in damned good position. San Jose is clogging up the neutral zone well but I think the Wings are getting their chances.

No PPGs for Detroit really hurts.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 10:50 PM

Well f*ck.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 11:07 PM

That's motherf*cking right, still in it. Way to go Raffi.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 11:11 PM

Highly important power play here.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/29/2010 at 11:25 PM

I just want to say that I hate Versus (and the Sharks, but that goes without saying)....The Wings can beat these guys...they're just big.

Posted by OldBroad on 4/29/2010 at 11:51 PM

You took the words out of my mouth! The wings did squander their chances...the power play is just not cutting it. They looked good, but the breaks were not there. PLUS it doesn't help getting bogus calls from the "in the pocket" refs! Can we hold a hearing of some type? Last year it was obvious that the NHL sat the refs down to ensure a Pittsburg victory. Apparently they think it was good for the sport - what is with all these Sindy Crosby lovers? I swear they give him "on-air felacio" every time they talk about him. Anywho, I digress.

So - take away the bogus call in the 2nd...the score is tied. I was pleased with the effort of the wings - you can tell that the Sharks are weary of the wings - the fans too! They know they can be taken out by a NOW healthy Detroit team. Here's to landing the sharks!

Posted by kelloggfan on 4/30/2010 at 9:54 AM

...just another comment. Where the hell did Bertuzzi get into the bad habit of the one handed stick handling? I have seen only one time where it worked, the rest it hasn't sooooo...1 out of 100 - give that crap up Bert and use both hands on the stick! And damn it, start hitting people! They didn't pick you up to skate around with one hand on the stick...USE that big ass body of yours!

Posted by kelloggfan on 4/30/2010 at 9:58 AM

Posted by kelloggfan on 4/30/2010 at 10:06 AM

apparently if you hit the refresh button, this site REPOSTS your previous submission. Sorry

Posted by kelloggfan on 4/30/2010 at 10:09 AM

Something on my to-do list to fix. Don't worry about it, I took care of the double-post.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 4/30/2010 at 2:34 PM

I have a question concerning the penalty against Franzen for tripping. Someone needs to explain why that call would have ended up with a four minute penalty for a high stick during any game during the regular season and during the playoffs it's not. This is why there are so many complaints about the officiating.

Posted by SYfanSD on 5/1/2010 at 11:01 AM

Agreed, someone does. Not gonna happen, though.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/1/2010 at 10:35 PM

I hear you on that one! I just think its garbage that there is a regular season rule book and a completely different one for the playoffs. Who has heard of "intent to blow the whistle" before this season?

Posted by SYfanSD on 5/2/2010 at 10:47 AM

Short memory, that happened to the Wings in the Anaheim series last year, too, if not earlier.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 5/2/2010 at 12:16 PM