Red Wings - Devils Pregame Notes

Brian Rafalski remains out, missing out on a return to New Jersey, where he started his NHL career. With Rafalski out, Jakub Kindl remains in thr Wings lineup.

Thankfully, Jonathan Ericsson was not seriously injured in Thursday's loss to the Oilers so he's in tonight.

Patrick Eaves returns from his ankle injury tonight, taking Brad May's spot.

Chris Osgood gets the start in goal.

This is Detroit's first visit to Newark and the Prudential Center.

Wake up! Wake up! What's the outlook on tonight's game? We haven't given up on the season already, have we?

Posted by OldBroad on 12/5/2009 at 7:04 PM

Ozzie looks good, a couple big stops on the PK.

What's with the lack of HD? Fancy new arena in Newark not built to accommodate it?

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 7:24 PM

Great D there. f*cking hell.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 7:33 PM

Alright, that one's on Ozzie. Damn.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 7:38 PM

This team that brings itself upon the ice surface for the Red Wings is absolutely HORRIBLE. Devils 2nd game on a back-to-back and completely outplay the wings or whatever you want to call them. They should tank and get a high pick for once. I can't bare to watch.

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 12/5/2009 at 7:47 PM

They should tank and get a high pick for once.

The Pittsburgh Strategy. I'm not entirely against this.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 7:50 PM

Still is early in the season, Holland not hitting panic button. I guess if wings can hang in there inn 9th or 10th seed until majority of players make it back then maybe we can squeak into the playoffs. Until then this wings squad is an in between Griffins/Wings. Griffings? Never seen a bad wings team since I began watching the Wings in '96, so this is new to me.

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 12/5/2009 at 7:57 PM

I became a Wings fan in the 80s. I remember what not making the playoffs is like. I don't ever want to go back to that, but I'll live if it's a one-season reload.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 8:00 PM

Gritty, ugly play. Wings needed that.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 8:16 PM

The way Kenny paused while announcing the goal, I thought for sure it was getting called back.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 8:35 PM

Way to go Stuie!

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 8:54 PM

Good things happen when you keep your stick on the ice.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 9:07 PM

That OT was pretty fun. Too bad the game has to be ruined by the shootout.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 9:33 PM

Incredibly disappointed in Leino's shootout attempt. Meh, f*ck it.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 9:40 PM

I walked in the door just in time to see the shoot out. And I have to say, most of the attempts on everyone's part did not look very nice.

---------

And the fact that John Keating has said "New York" twice within the last 5 minutes irks me.

Posted by Mathieu_Datsyuk132351 on 12/5/2009 at 9:43 PM

Mickey says the fans love the shootout because they're out of their seats. Interest should not be confused with approval of.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/5/2009 at 9:47 PM

Regarding the shootout, I had the same reaction to Leino's effort, and honestly, I'm not so impressed with him in regular play, either. He doesn't seem to have the grit to protect the puck...(now I hope he scores limitless goals in the next 20 games and proves me once and forever wrong, wrong, wrong)....Also regarding the shootout, I watched a game the other night between other teams (one of which was Chicago, I think...damn getting old for sure), and I could not help but think that the Wings would beat either of those teams (it was the night after the Wings shootout in which Bertuzzi scored the winner) should it come to that. Whereas it would have been great had the Wings defeated New Jersey, coming away with a point after being down by 2 twice showed some pluck. They've been inconsistent over the last couple years...some games they just don't come to play, it seems. As you say, though, if they can hang on until the injured return (and avoid more injuries), I think they'll give anyone a fight in the playoffs. (Eaves was terrific again, yes? and Helm and Abdelkader....)

Posted by OldBroad on 12/6/2009 at 6:43 PM