Wings - Avs: I'm Done Early

As I just announced over at A2Y, I'm turning the game off now. The Avs just scored twice on power plays from penalties that had no right being called in this game.

The NHL won't do anything about it's awful, inconsistant reffing until people start to turn games off because of it. Tonight, I'm doing my part. See you guys later.

Chris Chelios enters the lineup for his second game of the season tonight, replacing the injured Nicklas Lidstrom.

The Avs will be without leading scorer Paul Stastny and captain Joe Sakic, who are both out with injuries.

Chris Osgood says he's ready to return to the Detroit crease but he will sit tonight in favor of Ty Conklin.

Programming reminder, this game is on Fox Sports Plus.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/27/2008 at 8:58 PM

Ugh. PPG for Colorado. I thought the traffic of everyone rushing out from behind the net might have had something to do with it but looks like that was a few seconds earlier. Deflected off Maltby's skate.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/27/2008 at 9:19 PM

Avs with another power play goal, this one on an absolute bullsh*t call on Kopy.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/27/2008 at 9:29 PM

The wife made me turn off the Xbox and check the game. The Wings promptly scored three goals to tie things up. I'm back in for the rest of this one I guess.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/27/2008 at 10:38 PM

Well, that's at least a point for the Wings.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/27/2008 at 11:31 PM

"Just wide as Draper let it rip."

Surprising no one.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/27/2008 at 11:36 PM

Hrm. Shootout. Okay then.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/27/2008 at 11:40 PM

Saw that coming. All Wings from the second period (by all accounts, at least) on but the Avs get two points thanks to the gimmick. Yeah, I still miss ties.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 12/27/2008 at 11:48 PM

No need for ties. Anyways Wings looking better on 5v5. Goaltending still a problem but then again what can you do when you have to kill off penalties that should've never been called. Many teams records are better or worse thanks to all these horrendous calls. The Wings have the third best record in the league and I think they're the 4th best team as we speak, Blackhawks cannot lose right now. Although its not even half way through the season, the next two games versus the hawks will be a good indicator of how good the wings are right now. Blackhawks are on fire, wings are doing alright and are getting hit with injuries, lets see how they do. I think blackhawks will win both games, but barely.

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 12/28/2008 at 3:07 AM

Strange how I went to play games too after that first period to let the steam subside, only to come back and watch at the end of the second period, all tied @ 3-3.

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 12/28/2008 at 3:10 AM

If a team can turn in one good period and coast to a win from there, good for them

From what I've seen majority of these games are won and lost based on a period where anytime contact is made and these chincy penalties are called, then the other team gets bailed out just to make it fair (a.k.a. one bad call deserves another). Thats why I believe the playoffs will tell a different tale when teams get to play more hockey rather than 5on3, 5on4 for whatever reason half the time not even knowing what was called and just letting it go by the way side. Wings playing better 5on5 right now, which is a good sign. As for the games where a team doesnt deserve a point, that usually is a sign of a team that will lose the next game. Wings came close last game so usually that means they're playing better which may be a good thing come next game. ANYWAYS enough of this, its not even the half way point, let the mayhem subside.

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 12/30/2008 at 3:11 AM