Parity by Officiating

If I was a Tampa Bay Lightning fan I'd be pretty upset this morning. I'm a Red Wings fan and I'm still not happy with the officiating last night.

I thought the five-on-three that started Pittsburgh's comeback on Tuesday was a joke and the one that put the Red Wings in front last night in Tampa was just as bad, if not worse.

The Paul Ranger penalty to start things I can almost understand 'cause it looked worse than it was but I still call it weak. The Adam Hall penalty I have no complaints about. Chris Gratton's penalty to make it three calls in 18 seconds? I still don't even know what it was.

Two of three calls probably undeserved. Detroit scores twice on the ensuing power play to go from being down 2-1 to up 3-2.

With Detroit up 4-3 in the game's final seconds, Marian Hossa skates in on an empty net. He's hooked, poked, and otherwise assaulted and does not score. No call.

Almost a quarter of the season is down and it's becoming abundantly clear that in the eyes of the officials the team with the lead can do nothing right while the team looking to pull even can do little wrong.

Players and coaches who can be fined for complaning about the refs and announcers who are supposed to be impartial are making little effort to hide their opinions on the matter. Chris Osgood, Andreas Lilja, Mike Babcock, Philadelphia's Mike Richards, Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond have all spoke about how the officiating is seemingly being used to keep games close.

The cynical part of me thinks the NHL could never keep a conspiracy like this under wraps so this can't be possible. That said, that there is so much discussion of it might mean that it hasn't been kept as secret as it should be.

I don't know what to think of what's going on with the guys in the striped shirts. I don't know if it's a league mandate or circut-wide bad reffing. I just know I don't like it.

Wow. I was just listening to the game for a second and forgot it was a road game.

Holy hell, Kronner just rocked Prospal.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/13/2008 at 7:42 PM

Heh, Maltby just got three shots in a row from the slot, puck just kept coming back to him.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/13/2008 at 7:44 PM

Mickey's p*ssed, that didn't take long.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/13/2008 at 8:00 PM

Ugh, that was a nice shot. I can't even complain about it.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/13/2008 at 8:03 PM

Well hell. I've got nothing.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/13/2008 at 8:12 PM

Deflected and the Wings are back in it. Weird play.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/13/2008 at 8:34 PM

Lame call on Tampa but I'll take it.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/13/2008 at 8:55 PM

Power play took a bit to get going but looked good once it did. I'm out to a soccer game, I'll catch up later. Quiet in here tonight anyway.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/13/2008 at 8:58 PM

Missed the first two periods. Should be able to last period. Hope they can make teh 5 on 3 count at the start of the period.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 11/13/2008 at 9:17 PM

Zetterberg eventually scrambles it in. And it's confirmed. All tied up.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 11/13/2008 at 9:30 PM

And now they've taken the lead. Goal for Samuelsson. It definitely took a deflection.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 11/13/2008 at 9:34 PM

Franzen makes it 4-2 Detroit.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 11/13/2008 at 9:41 PM

Kolzig's looking pretty angry.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 11/13/2008 at 9:43 PM

Back to a one goal game. If it's confirmed. Did Prospal kick it in? It's a goal. 4-3.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 11/13/2008 at 9:59 PM

And there's the win, 4-3 final score. Without empty net goals, the wings have still yet to win a game by two or more goals this season.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 11/13/2008 at 10:11 PM

Tonights game basically summed up my last post I had on the Pens game. Stick lift called hook and what do you know tampa gets a goal on the tail end of the penalty. Oh, and the three penalties where nobody knew what was called on Tampa that basically ended the game. wait one more, goal basically kicked in. But all the terrible calls get pushed aside which is a given in the NHL today. Just some consistency pleeease. I do think the refs are good at officiating when they make calls that have no intentions behind them, just call a penalty when a penalty is made.

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 11/13/2008 at 10:17 PM

Here are my running thoughts as I caught up with the game on the DVR, starting late in the second period...

Long five-on-three to start the third... Ranger penalty kind of lame. Hall high-stick deserved. Gratton?

Great job by Zetterberg to keep an eye on the crease and jump in to tie things up. I can't believe they didn't call it frozen while Hossa was whacking away.

Sammy finally hits the net to put the Wings in front. I still don't know what Gratton's penalty was for.

Huge play by Zata, Sammy and Franzen. Hooks all over the place on Sammy, kicks it free to Zata, passed across to an open Mule to bang it in. Really, really nice.

Anyone other than Kolzig goes off like that and he gets a penalty. Part of me likes that and part of me doesn't. From the replay, I think the interference he was bitching about was weak.

Prospal hit Kronner to the head from behind, no call. Hook gets called on Detroit instead.

Ozzie with a big giveaway on the PK. Not smart at all. Made up for it by staying with the puck, could have been easy to give up on that.

Prospal kicked it in. It would have gone in anyway, I'm surprised the FSN guys call it a good goal though. Now they change their minds. Ugh. I don't like that being called a goal. Would have been one without the kick but that was a kick nonetheless.

I can't believe there wasn't a hook called on Recchi with Hossa going in on the empty net.

Wow, faceoff in the Detroit zone dispite the puck going off Lecavalier's face. So horrible.

Wings hold on. I wasn't thinking that would happen. A win's a win but this one sucks anyway.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/13/2008 at 11:48 PM

My thoughts after the game was feeling sorry for both teams and the NHL after the inconsistent calls. The best hockey is to come though, just wait til the end of the regular and playoffs where the refs don't play a role in the games. That is the best hockey to watch. Wings did win but it just felt weird the entire game after teams scored after strange calls, didn't know whether to cheer or be upset, odd feeling when watching my favorite team.

Posted by RideTheRedWave on 11/14/2008 at 1:58 AM

Seriously? I'd say the refs play even more of a role in the playoffs. Take a look at all the called-back goals from last spring. Hell, last shift of the Finals, Datsyuk dragged down, no call, Penguins come close to tying it up."Letting them play" can be just as bad as calling every little thing. The inconsistency is the issue.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 11/14/2008 at 10:37 AM

I wanted to comment yesterday but a bad migraine kept me off the computer. What kind of game was this in the first period? Did we hang out on the beach all night getting drunk? We looked hung over during the first period and gave up two easy goals. Were was the D? And Ozzies GAA sucks! 3.34 GAA? Come on now the only reason he is winning games is becuase the high powered Offense is bailing him and the D out. Our D is what 16th, 17th in the league? Horrible!

Although I am happy with the win I am not satisfied with our play. We need to step it up a notch.

Posted by SYfanSD on 11/14/2008 at 12:30 PM