Wings - 'Hawks Postgame and Franzen Update

As I previously mentioned, I haven't been able to watch Saturday's game yet.

After seeing the game summary I was interested to see if the late five-on-three that Chicago used to tie the game back up was as weak as the power plays that St. Louis used to try to get back into the game earlier this week and Mike Babcock didn't disappoint in his postgame comments.

From the Freep via Malik...

"They were shorthanded all night long," Babcock said. "It's an interesting league that way. You don't even know. You can't even complain. You just take it."
Hossa was whistled for interference after Andreas Lilja was penalized for hooking late in the second period.

"Offensive zone interference call to be down 5-on-3," Babcock said. "Unbelievable."

Of course it worked out in the end so no one will be talking about it. No one ever talks about bad officiating until it costs someone something big.

The long-term damage from the night comes with Johan Franzen out for three-to-four weeks with a sprained knee. Ville Leino has been called up to take Franzen's roster spot.

I agree with MacLeod that Leino could play in the top six, taking Franzen's place on Henrik Zetterberg's line, but I think it's more likely that Leino goes with Valtteri Filppula on the third line while Dan Cleary moves up to try to replace some of Franzen's physical play on the second line.

And Franzen scores on the powerplay!

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 10/25/2008 at 8:41 PM

And Chicago hit the post while on the penalty kill, due to a rare mistake by Lidstrom.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 10/25/2008 at 8:57 PM

And Chicago ties it up on the powerplay, Versteeg with the goal.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 10/25/2008 at 9:08 PM

And the period ends 1 all.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 10/25/2008 at 9:16 PM

Now I've seen what the winter classic jerseys are, I've got to go.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 10/25/2008 at 9:27 PM

I ended up missing the entire game but caught the highlights from NHL.com just now.

A couple of the Chicago goals looked kind of weak, an off night for Conklin?

There were a couple beautiful Detroit goals, their fourth was amazing and the fifth was pretty good (though it would have been better had Samuelsson not missed the open net).

I want to see if the five-on-three that Chicago tied things back up on was another "it's late in the third, lets give them a power play to make things interesting" call or if the Wings actually did something to deserve it this time.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/26/2008 at 1:55 AM

Just watched the highlights as well. What's wrong with a boring win, with a two goal winning margin secured without the help of the empty net? They always have to make it close.

I find it a bit weird that they don't show Chicago's shootout goal in the highlights though.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 10/26/2008 at 7:52 AM

That's because it wasn't highlight worthy. It was a soft one. Conklin watched it slide between his legs. It wasn't even worth a celebration.

Posted by drwmike33 on 10/26/2008 at 12:13 PM

Yeah--there was two very weak penalties--one on Cleary, idk the other one.Even Ken Daniels said something like "you've got to wonder..."One thing not touched on was that Franzen left the game after Brett Sopel collided with him trying to make a change. Knee on knee crash. I would have called interference--you can't just run into people willy nilly because you want to get to the bench. We'll see how bad it was. He was rolling around clutching his knee but later walked into the dressing room under his own power...so i don't know.

Posted by drwmike33 on 10/26/2008 at 12:18 PM

I see, thanks.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 10/26/2008 at 12:35 PM

Looks like I missed an exciting game? Haven't gotten around to reading everyone's posts, because I don't really feel like it. Haven't seen the highlights, either.

Maybe they lost cause Lazy Lang wasn't there to score against us? ;P