Wings - 'Hawks Pregame Notes

Andreas Lilja returns to the Red Wings lineup tonight after an appendectomy earlier this week. Derek Meech will be scratched to make room for him on the blueline.

Darren McCarty says he's making his season debut tonight but there's been no word on who would be out to make room for him.

Ty Conklin gets the start with Chris Osgood having gone last night. He'll be up against Nikolai Khabibulin, who's outplayed Cristobal Huet in the Chicago crease.

The jerseys for the Winter Classic will be unveiled during the first intermission.

The game is supposed to be on FSN Detroit but Comcast's channel guide currently says college football is scheduled at that time. This is making it hard for me to set my DVR, which I need to do since I expect to miss most of the game hosting a Halloween party.

And Franzen scores on the powerplay!

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 10/25/2008 at 8:41 PM

And Chicago hit the post while on the penalty kill, due to a rare mistake by Lidstrom.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 10/25/2008 at 8:57 PM

And Chicago ties it up on the powerplay, Versteeg with the goal.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 10/25/2008 at 9:08 PM

And the period ends 1 all.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 10/25/2008 at 9:16 PM

Now I've seen what the winter classic jerseys are, I've got to go.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 10/25/2008 at 9:27 PM

I ended up missing the entire game but caught the highlights from NHL.com just now.

A couple of the Chicago goals looked kind of weak, an off night for Conklin?

There were a couple beautiful Detroit goals, their fourth was amazing and the fifth was pretty good (though it would have been better had Samuelsson not missed the open net).

I want to see if the five-on-three that Chicago tied things back up on was another "it's late in the third, lets give them a power play to make things interesting" call or if the Wings actually did something to deserve it this time.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 10/26/2008 at 1:55 AM

Just watched the highlights as well. What's wrong with a boring win, with a two goal winning margin secured without the help of the empty net? They always have to make it close.

I find it a bit weird that they don't show Chicago's shootout goal in the highlights though.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 10/26/2008 at 7:52 AM

That's because it wasn't highlight worthy. It was a soft one. Conklin watched it slide between his legs. It wasn't even worth a celebration.

Posted by drwmike33 on 10/26/2008 at 12:13 PM

Yeah--there was two very weak penalties--one on Cleary, idk the other one.Even Ken Daniels said something like "you've got to wonder..."One thing not touched on was that Franzen left the game after Brett Sopel collided with him trying to make a change. Knee on knee crash. I would have called interference--you can't just run into people willy nilly because you want to get to the bench. We'll see how bad it was. He was rolling around clutching his knee but later walked into the dressing room under his own power...so i don't know.

Posted by drwmike33 on 10/26/2008 at 12:18 PM

I see, thanks.

Posted by Britishwingsfan on 10/26/2008 at 12:35 PM

Looks like I missed an exciting game? Haven't gotten around to reading everyone's posts, because I don't really feel like it. Haven't seen the highlights, either.

Maybe they lost cause Lazy Lang wasn't there to score against us? ;P