Bounces Not Enough

I've been complaining through the last few games that the Wings just haven't been getting enough bounces to go their way. I was pretty shocked at how little luck they'd had.

Tonight, they got some of those bounces I'd been complaining about but it still wasn't enough, Anaheim got a few of their own and that was all they needed.

The good news is that Detroit played a complete game tonight. For the first time in three games, the loss wasn't for lack of trying.

That doesn't change the final score, but it might say something about things to come. Mickey Redmond talks about how teams in the final games of a winning streak will win games they "should" lose, with the reverse also true.

Tonight's game looked a bit like that to me. Maybe not a game the Red Wings "should" have won but definitely one they could have.

I'm glad to be watching a game that won't end after midnight.

Posted by nrmoore on 1/7/2007 at 8:25 PM

I'd be a lot happier if it wasn't another game where the Wings have been unable to get a frikkin' bounce to go their way. Markov seems cursed right now.

A bounce! Holy sh*t, they got a bounce! Ilitch should buy those back boards and take them to all the arenas they play in for the rest of the trip.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 1/7/2007 at 9:09 PM

Ugh, awful giveaway, bounced off Lebda. Even when they get a bounce, they've still got them going against them as well.

No excuse on the third goal, for once it didn't go off a Wing. This could get ugly pretty quick.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 1/7/2007 at 9:24 PM

Another bounce! A series of them! Off the Duck, off Homer, in, and they still get another power play. Sweet!

Posted by YzerFan19 on 1/7/2007 at 10:03 PM

Being the ref-hater that I am, I'd like to know why it's not a problem with them for Zetterberg to get flattened after a whistle, but I don't think getting that call would have saved the Wings. Another game where, while they got some good bounces for them, too many went against them.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 1/7/2007 at 10:37 PM

Another losing streak!!!! Not good

Posted by SYfanSD on 1/8/2007 at 12:22 PM

Robert Lang seems to be struggling lately. He's been turning the puck over continuosly and hasn't been doing much offensively. I like him but he seems to play with no integrity. I think he would make a great trade prospect. Detroit really needs an enforcer willing to lay out hits and not let the wings get pushed around like they do.

Posted by foster016 on 1/8/2007 at 1:35 PM

Sadly, I'm starting to agree with the "Lang as trade bait" idea. He has had some huge turnovers in the last month or so. That said, I don't agree with ripping apart a team like the Wings, seeing that they will probably make the playoffs and will need all the help they can get there. I wouldn't trade him for an enforcer (they could call up Norton if they wanted one of those). The problem is that the kind of guys the Wings need won't be available for guys like Lang.

Posted by YzerFan19 on 1/8/2007 at 2:01 PM

I agree as well, he has not looked to good lately

Posted by SYfanSD on 1/8/2007 at 2:54 PM